Professor Stephen Whitefield - Project Coordinator
Eurequal is a 3-year project that will bring together a broad variety of perspectives, research techniques and a large team of collaborators across Europe to investigate social inequality and its social and political consequences in post-Communist Eastern Europe.
We have multiple research objectives and a multi-disciplinary design that will address key questions relating to the lives of both individuals and their families, on the one hand, and the development of post-Communist states and Europe, on the other:
- What is the character social inequality in the post-Communist region, how has it changed over the last decade, and crucially what does it mean to citizens themselves?
- What is the impact of social inequality on social mobility and social cohesion?
- How does social inequality connect with politics, in the stances taken by citizens and in the stances taken by post-Communist political parties?
- What impact do national institutional arrangements and state capacities have on levels of social inequality and what is the impact of social inequality on the economic and democratic development of post-Communist states?
The project has a multi-level comparative cross-national and over-time design, considering:
- National Conditions
- The Post-Communist region as a whole
I will coordinate a multi-national team of research partners:
- The Baltic States
- Czech Republic
- United Kingdom
We will update these pages regularly to keep you informed of our activities and outputs. With so wide and complex a set of goals, however, we very much welcome the input that visitors to the site might also bring to our team. Please do contact me with comments and suggestions.
Prof Stephen Whitefield